Empower Parents, Enable Breastfeeding - World Breastfeeding Week 1st - 7th AugustDate: 02 August 2019 Tags: Ministries & Departments
Context: The Food and Nutrition Board, Ministry of Women and Child Development, is organizing a number of activities on the theme “Empower Parents, Enable Breastfeeding” during the World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) being observed from 1st to 7thAugust 2019. The focus this year is on protection, promotion, and support of breastfeeding.
The objectives of World Breastfeeding Week are:
- To create awareness among the parents about breastfeeding
- Encourage parents to adopt breastfeeding
- Creating awareness about the importance of initiation and exclusive breastfeeding, and adequate and appropriate complementary feeding
- Providing advocacy material about the importance of breastfeeding
Breastfeeding is important because:
- It promotes better health for mothers and children alike.
- It prevents infections like diarrhoea and acute respiratory infections in early infancy and thus reduce infant mortality
- It decreases the risk of mothers developing breast cancer, ovarian cancer, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease and
- It protects infants from obesity-related illnesses, diabetes and increases the IQ.
The correct norms of infant and young child feeding are:
- Initiation of Breastfeeding within an hour of birth
- Exclusive breastfeeding for first six months of life i.e. only breast Milk ‘NO’ other milk, food, drink or water
- Appropriate and adequate complementary feeding from six months of age while continuing breastfeeding
- Continued breastfeeding up to the age of two years or beyond
Activities to be carried out during the week:
The activities being organized during the World Breastfeeding Week are symposiums for lactating mothers and anganwadi workers to create awareness about the importance of breastfeeding, annaprashan ceremony of babies at anganwadi centres by collecting beneficiaries from adjoining anganwadi centres, competition on nutritious recipes and quiz competitions.