National Mission on Transformative Mobility and Battery StorageDate: 09 March 2019 Tags: Commissions & Committees
Union Cabinet has approved setting up of National Mission on Transformative Mobility and Battery Storage (NMTMBS) to drive clean, connected, shared, sustainable and holistic mobility initiatives.
Cabinet also approved
- Phased Manufacturing Programme (PMP) to support setting up of few large-scale, export-competitive integrated batteries and cell-manufacturing Giga plants in India. It will be valid for 5 years till 2024.
- Creation of PMP to localize production across entire Electric Vehicles value chain. It will be valid for 5 years till 2024.
- Both PMP schemes will be finalised by NMTMBS.
National Mission on Transformative Mobility and Storage (NMTMB)
- It will be dedicated multi-disciplinary mission that will implement end-to-end policy framework for transforming the mobility landscape in the countru.
- Its prime focus will be on manufacturing, specification and standards, fiscal incentives, overall demand creation and projections, regulatory framework and R&D.
- Composition: It will be multi-disciplinary body with Inter-Ministerial Steering Committee will be chaired by CEO NITI Aayog.
- Its Steering Committee will comprise of Secretaries from Ministries of Road Transport and Highways, Power, New and Renewable Energy, Department of Science and Technology, Department of Heavy Industry, Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), and Director General, Bureau of Industrial Standards.
- It will recommend and drive strategies for transformative mobility and PMPs for EVs, EV components and batteries.
- PMP will be launched to localize production across entire EV value chain.
- It will determine the contours of PMP, and will finalise details of such a program.
- It will coordinate with key stakeholders in Ministries/Departments and states to integrate various initiatives to transform mobility in India.
- It will finalise details of value addition that can be achieved with each phase of localisation with clear Make in India strategy for EVs components as well as battery.
NMTMB’s Roadmap to implement battery manufacturing at Giga-scale
- It will prepare phased roadmap to implement battery manufacturing at Giga-scale with initial focus on large-scale module and pack assembly plants by 2019-20, followed by integrated cell manufacturing by 2021-22.
- It will formulate details of PMP for batteries. It will ensure holistic and comprehensive growth of the battery manufacturing industry in India.
- It will prepare necessary roadmap that will enable India to leverage upon its size and scale to produce innovative, competitive multi-modal mobility solutions that can be deployed globally in diverse contexts.
- It will define the roadmap for transformative mobility by introducing sustainable mobility ecosystem and fostering Make-in-India to boost domestic manufacturing and employment generation in the country.
Significance of NMTMB
- It will drive mobility solutions that will bring in significant benefits to the industry, economy and country.
- Solutions formulated by it will help improve air quality in cities along with reducing India’s oil import dependence and enhance uptake of renewable energy and storage solutions.
- It will lay down strategy and roadmap which will enable India to leverage upon its size and scale to develop a competitive domestic manufacturing ecosystem for electric mobility.
- It actions will benefit all citizens as its long-term aim is to promote ‘Ease of Living’ and enhance quality of life of citizens.
- It will also provide employment opportunities through ‘Make-in-India’ across a range of skillsets.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi in in September 2018 during Global Mobility Summit had outlined vision for future of mobility in India based on 7 C’s.
- 7 C’s are Common, Connected, Convenient, Congestion-free, Charged, Clean and Cutting-edge mobility.
- Mobility has potential to drive economy forward and positively impact the lives of citizens both in urban and rural areas.
- Moreover, shared, connected and clean mobility solutions are increasingly becoming the key principles of effective mobility solutions across the world.
- Hence, Government has decided to establish dedicated multi-disciplinary mission that will facilitate cooperative federalism, extensive stakeholder and inter-ministerial consultations and implement end-to-end policy framework for transforming the mobility landscape