Cabinet approves India's accession to Nice, Vienna and Locarno AgreementsDate: 14 March 2019 Tags: Ministries & Departments
Union Cabinet approves proposal for accession of India to Nice, Vienna and Locarno Agreements. This decision aims to harmonize classification systems for examination of trademark and design applications in India, in line with the systems followed globally. It will also facilitate in exercising rights in decision making processes regarding review and revision of the classifications under the agreement.
India will accede to
- Nice Agreement: It deals with international classification of goods and services for the purposes of registration of trademarks and service marks.
- Vienna Agreement: It deals with setting up International classification of the figurative elements of marks.
- Locarno Agreement: It deals with establishing of International classification for industrial designs
Significance of accession
- Harmonise the classification systems: It will help Intellectual Property Office (IPO) in India to harmonize classification systems of Indian designs, figurative elements and goods for trademark and design applications par with global statndards.
- Improve India’s global presence: It will give opportunity to include Indian designs, figurative elements and goods in international classification systems.
- Ease of Doing business: It is expected to instill confidence in foreign investors in relation to protection of Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) in India.