Government launches Project Sparrow-CBICDate: 16 May 2019 Tags: Commissions & Committees
Union Ministry of Finance has launched Project Sparrow for online writing of Annual Performance Appraisal Reports (APARs) for over 46,000 Group B & C officers of Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC). SPARROW stands for Smart Performance Appraisal Report Recording Online Window.
- It is a project for online writing of Annual Performance Appraisal Report (APAR) for Officers of CBIC. It is being implemented by Directorate General of Human Resource Management (DGHRM), the HR arm of CBIC
- It is being implemented in over 400 formations of CBIC across the country. It covers online writing of APARs for over 46,000 Group B & C officers of CBIC. It has been already been implemented for IRS (C&CE) Officers from 2016-17.
Significance of Project Sparrow
- It is one of its kind in terms of scale/number of employees covered as far as Central Government Departments are concerned.
- It brings complete change in APAR management of such large number of Group ‘B’ & ‘C’ Officers/ Staff of CBIC, which will, in turn, lead to better HR Management.
- It leverages modern technology for enhancing overall efficiency and morale of huge workforce working in Central GST and Customs formations of CBIC.
- It is important milestone in the journey towards digitisation and paper less working.
Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC)
- CBIC (earlier Central Board of Excise & Customs) is the nodal national agency responsible for administering Customs, GST, Central Excise, Service Tax & Narcotics in India.
- It is part of Department of Revenue, Union Ministry of Finance. It is headquartered in New Delhi.
- It is administrative authority for its subordinate organizations, including Custom Houses, Central Excise and Service Tax Commissionerates and Central Revenues Control Laboratory.
- Functions: It deals with tasks of formulation of policy concerning levy and collection of customs and central excise duties, Goods & Services Tax and IGST.
- It also deals with prevention of smuggling and administration of matters relating to customs, central excise, service tax and narcotics.