GeM, CCI sign MoU to check malpractices in e-procurementDate: 09 February 2019 Tags: Miscellaneous
Government e Marketplace (GeM) and Competition Commission of India (CCI) signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to cooperate on public procurement matters and for detection of anti-competitive practices.
Features of MoU
- It will enable both government agencies to pool their knowledge of public procurement domain for detection of anti-competitive practices.
- It will provide fair and competitive environment inpublic procurement matters by using advanced analytical tools and processes for identification of malpractices like cartelization.
Government e Marketplace (GeM)
- It is National Procurement Portal of India that facilitates procurement of goods and services by various Central, State Government ministries/Departments/PSUs etc. and also and also local bodies.
- Its objective is to enhance transparency, efficiency and speed in public procurement of goods and services and eliminate corruption.
- It is completely paperless, cashless and system, driven e-market place that enables procurement of common use goods and services with minimal human interface.
- It functions under the aegis of Directorate General of Supplies and Disposals (DGS&D), Union Ministry of Commerce and Industries.
Competition Commission of India (CCI)
- It is quasi-judicial statutory body of Central Government of India, responsible for enforcing Competition Act, 2002 throughout India.
- Its mandate is to eliminate practices having adverse effect on competition, promote healthy and sustain competition, protect interests of consumers and ensure freedom of trade in markets of India.
- It comprises of Chairperson and three members appointed by Central Government. It functions under aegis of Ministry of Cooperate Affairs.