20 Institution recommended for status of â€˜Institutions of Eminenceâ€™Date: 03 August 2019 Tags: Ministries & Departments
Context: The UGC has considered the reports of the Empowered Expert Committee (EEC) appointed by Government under the Chairmanship of Shri N Gopalaswami recommending (15) Public institutions and (15) Private institutions for considering to give status of Institutions of Eminence.
About the process of identification:
- Since the scheme has only provided for (10) Public and (10) Private Institutions, the UGC has examined the list of (15) Public and (15) Private Institutions using transparent and verifiable criteria.
- The following were the principles used for identifying the (10) Public and (10) Private Institutions, from the list of (15) Public and (15) Private Institutions recommended by the EEC:
- Since the thrust of the scheme is to prepare institutions for the global rankings, no existing institution which has NOT figured in any of the global/national ranks shall be recommended for the IoE status.
- Only after exhausting the above criterion, if any slot remains vacant, consideration shall be given to 'yet to be established (Greenfield)' proposals.
- Public Institutions:
- In accordance with the above principles, the UGC has ranked the list of (15) recommendations as per the QS-2020 World Rankings.
- Wherever there is a tie, the UGC used theQS-2019 India Rankings as a tie-breaker.
- The State Universities: Jadavpur University and Anna University can be considered for issue of the IoE status only after the respective State Governments have issued an official communication allocating their share of the funds (up to 50%).
- Private Institutions:
- UGC has ranked the list of the (15) private institutions recommended by the EEC by taking their ranking in the QS India or NIRF rankings, and NIRF ranking has been used as tie-breaker.
- In case there is any vacant slot after considering all the ranked institutions, the same was used for 'yet to be set up (greenfield)' institution.
- In case of the private institutions proposed as IoE, there will be no financial support, but they will be entitled for more autonomy as a special category Deemed University.
- The Greenfield Institutions would get 3 year period to establish and operationalise the institution, and thereafter, EEC will consider giving IoE status to such institutions.