Satwik and Chirag breach the wall of ChinaDate: 05 August 2019 Tags: Honours & Awards
Context: They won India’s first-ever men’s doubles final at the Thailand Open badminton championship.
- India’s Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty scripted a piece of history on Sunday (4/08/2019) by breaching the ‘Chinese Wall’ of reigning World champions Li Jun Hui and Liu Yu Chen, with a 21-19, 18-21, 21-18 victory in the men’s doubles final of the Thailand Open badminton championship in Bangkok.
- This is the first-ever Indian men’s combination to win a BWF Super 500 title.
- It was a revenge win for the Indians, who had lost to the World champions at the Australian Open early this year.
- The Indian pair, ranked World No. 16, capped a week of consistent performances that saw them beat No. 7 Fajar Alfian and Muhammad Rian Ardianto, No. 19 Ko Sung Hyun and Shin Baek Cheol and No. 27 Choi Solgyu and Seo Seung Jae.
- Satwik in the front-court and Chirag controlling the back-court turned out to be a deadly combination.
- Satwik’s brilliance included a splendid flick which fetched game-point in the first game.
- There was double delight for the Indians as they are poised to break into the World top 10. This is a shot in the arm as they eye a slot in next year’s Tokyo Olympics.