Girl who cried over felled trees is Manipurâ€™s green ambassadorDate: 09 August 2019 Tags: Honours & Awards
Context: The Manipur government has appointed a nine-year-old girl (Elangbam Valentina Devi of Hiyanglam Makha Leikai in Kakching district ) as the State’s green ambassador, less than a week after a video of her crying for two trees axed for a road-widening project went viral.
About the girl:
- The girl is a Class V student of Amutombi Divine Life English School in Kakching town, about 45 km southeast of Manipur’s capital Imphal.
- The girl had planted the saplings of two Gulmohar (royal poinciana) trees by the side of a river when she was in Class I.
- She had been tending to the saplings, which grew up into healthy trees in about four years.
- The two trees, along with other vegetation, were axed for a project to widen a road beside the river.
- A videographer filmed her crying over the trees.
About the order:
- This was in recognition of her immense love and affection for trees and for generating mass awareness on conservation of the environment.
- The order will remain in force for 1 year from the date of issuance.
- According to the order the girl will be part of all advertisements and campaigns that promote an increase in Manipur’s green cover.
- “She will be provided honorarium at government rates, transportation facilities, food and lodging facilities at admissible rates by the sponsoring government department,” the order said