Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar passes awayDate: 18 March 2019 Tags: Obituaries
Goa Chief Minister and former Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar passed away. He was 63 and was suffering from pancreatic cancer. He was country's first ever IIT graduate to serve as Chief Minister of a state. He had first become Goa CM in 2000 and had also served as Union Defence Minister from 2014 to 2017.
- He was born in Mapusa, Goa in 1955. He was 1978 graduate in metallurgical engineering from IIT Bombay. Infosys Co-founder Nandan Nilekani was his batchmate.
- He had started his political career career as RSS pracharak. He was elected as member of Goa Assembly from Panaji seat as member of BJP in November 1994.
- He became Goa Chief Minister for four times (from 2000 to 2005 and from 2012 to 2014), but could not complete a single full term in office.
- He had served as Defence Minister from 2014 to 2017 on invitation of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- During his stint as Defence Minister, Indian Army had carried out surgical strikes across LoC after Pakistani terrorists killed 19 soldiers at Uri in September 2016.
- After his stint in national politics, he had had returned to state politics after was elected Goa Chief Minister for fourth time in March 2017.