Actress-Director Vijaya Nirmala passes awayDate: 28 June 2019 Tags: Obituaries
Veteran Telugu actress and director Vijaya Nirmala passed away in Hyderabad due to sickness. She was 75. She had appeared in more than 200 films in Telugu, Tamil and Malayalam and had directed more than 44 Telugu films.
About Vijaya Nirmala
- She had started her acting career as child actor. She made her acting debut in 1950 Tamil film Machcha Rekkai at age of five. Later she forayed into Telugu cinema with the film Panduranga Mahatyam.
- Her debut Tamil film was Engaveettu Penn, which was followed by movies including Panama Paasama, En Annan, Gnanaoli and Uyira Maanama.
- She had rose to stardom after her Malayalam film Bhargavi Nilayam in 1964. She had starred together with her second husband Krishna in 47 films.
- Her small screen debut was with Balaji Telefilms' Pelli Kanuka. Later she launched her own production house Vijaya Krishna Movies and produced 15 films.
- Guinness Record: She holds Guinness Record for most number of films directed by female filmmaker.
- Awards and Honours: Andhra Pradesh government had conferred her with Raghupathi Venkaiah award for her contribution to Telugu cinema in 2008.