Oscars 2019: 91st Academy AwardsDate: 25 February 2019 Tags: Honours & Awards
The 91st Academy Awards commonly referred to as Oscars was held at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California (US). The awards were presented in 24 categories by Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), honouring best films of year 2018.
It was first ceremony in three decades, since 61st Academy Awards in 1989, to be conducted with no host. Green Book won Best Picture award. Bohemian Rhapsody won most number of awards totaling to four at the ceremony. Green Book, Roma and Black Panther received three awards each. The Favourite and Roma, with 10 nominations each were most nominated films this year.
- Best Picture: Green Book.
- Best Actress: Olivia Colman (The Favourite as Anne, Queen of Great Britain).
- Best Actor: Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody as Freddie Mercury).
- Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron (Roma).
- Best Supporting Actress: Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk as Sharon Rivers).
- Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali (Green Book as Don Shirley).
- Best Original Screenplay: Green Book – Written by Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie & Peter Farrelly.
- Best Adapted Screenplay: BlacKkKlansman.
- Best Animated Feature Film: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.
- Best Foreign Language Film: Roma (Mexico-Spanish language).
- Best Documentary-Feature: Free Solo.
- Best Documentary – Short Subject: Period. End of Sentence.
- Best Live Action Short Film: Skin.
- Best Animated Short Film: Bao.
- Best Original Score: Black Panther
- Best Original Song: "Shallow" from A Star Is Born.
- Best Sound Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody.
- Best Sound Mixing: Bohemian Rhapsody
- Best Production Design: Black Panther
- Best Cinematography: Roma
- Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Vice
- Best Costume Design: Black Panther
- Best Film Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody
- Best Visual Effects: First Man.
Period. End of Sentence
It is India-based shortfilm that has won Oscar for Best Documentary Short Subject. It is directed by 25-year-old Iranian-American filmmaker Rayka Zehtabchi and co-produced by Guneet Monga, who is known for producing films like 'Masaan' and 'The Lunchbox'. This documentary is set in village outside Delhi and talks about stigma of menstruation.
Academy Awards (Oscars)
- It is group of 24 artistic and technical honours that recognizes excellence in cinematic achievements in US film industry.
- It is given annually by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS). It was first presented in 1929.
- The winners are awarded a copy of a statuette officially called Academy Award of Merit (famously referred as Oscar Award).