INS Dronacharya wins Kochi Area Pulling Regatta 2019Date: 04 February 2019 Tags: Sports
INS Dronacharya team won Regetta trophy (also called The Cock) in Kochi Area Pulling Regatta 2019 conducted by Indian Navy’s Southern Naval Command (SNC) and held in Ernakulam Channel, Kerala. Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) School & Diving School secured runners up position.
Kochi Area Pulling Regatta
- It is considered naval version of Kerala’s snakeboat race. It is one of the most prestigious and traditional naval sporting activities conducted in Indian Navy.
- In this race, boats compete to cover distance of 1.6 km in Ernakulam Channel, starting from the Venduruthy-Vikrant Bridge and finishing at North Jetty of Indian Navy.
- Races in this regatta are held in four different categories - junior sailrs, senior sailors, officers and best whaler.
- The boats used in regatta competition are 27-feet-long and are called ‘whalers’, a type of sea-boat each having a crew of five ‘pullers’ (rowers) and one coxswain (helm).
- These boats are named as ‘whalers’ as they were used for hunting whales at sea in ancient times.