Henley passport indexDate: 23 August 2019 Tags: Reports & Indices
The latest Henley Passport Index ranks India at 86, down five places from 81 in 2018.
Prepared by Henley and Partners, a London-based global citizenship and residence advisory firm, the Henley Passport Index claims to be the most accurate passport index.
The index gathers data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA) that manages inter-airline cooperation globally.
- The index receives data from the IATA on a fixed day every year that forms the basis of the index. This data is supplemented by considering real-time changes in visa policies using publicly available sources to prepare a visa list.
- This is a list of destinations that a passport can access visa-free, through a visa on arrival, e-visa or with a traditional visa.
- Each passport is attributed with a score and a rank. For instance for 2019, India’s score is 58 and it ranks 86 in the list. Japan and Singapore, on the other hand, are ranked 1 and have a score of 189.
- The score is the sum of the number of countries accessible by that passport holder without requiring pre-departure government approval for visa-types including a visitor’s permit, visa on arrival or an electronic travel authority.
- A value of 0 is attributed to a score when a passport holder has to seek pre-departure government approval for visa-types including e-visa (visas applied for online and received) and visa on arrival.
Importance of Index
- Passport rankings point towards the strength of diplomatic relations between countries.
- Recently travel freedom has expanded vastly as a result of the rising number of bilateral visa-waiver programs signed between different countries and unilateral decisions implemented by governments of some countries.
Other Passport Indices
- The Henley Passport Index is not the only index available on passport rankings. Others include the Arton Passport Index. It ranks United Arab Emirates’ passport at rank 1 as per its most recent rankings.
- As per this index, India has a mobility score (MS) of 67, with visa required for 131 destinations, visa on arrival required for 41 destinations and 26 destinations where Indian passport holders can travel visa free.