Dutee Chand wins gold medal in World Universiade 2019Date: 11 July 2019 Tags: Sports
Ace Indian sprinter Dutee Chand (age 23) won gold medal in women's 100-metre sprint (clocked 11.32s in the final) at 30th Summer University Games (XXX Summer Universiade) in Napoli, Italy. With this she became first Indian athlete to win medal at Summer Universiade.
About Dutee Chand
She was born 3 February 1996 and hails Jajpur district of Odisha. She is current national champion in the women's 100 metres event. She is the third Indian woman to ever qualify for the Women's 100 metres event at Summer Olympic Games (for 2016 Rio Olypics). She had won silver medal in women's 100m at the Jakarta Asian Games (It was India's first medal in this event since 1998).
Note: She is India's first ever athlete to openly disclose that she's in a same-sex relationship.
- Asian Athletics Championships (2013-Pune): Bronze medal.
- Asian Junior Athletics Championships (2014-Taipei, Taiwan): Two Gold Medals (200m and 4*400m relay).
- Asian Indoor Athletics Championships (2016 Doha, Qatar): Bronze medal (60m).
- Asian Athletics Championships (2017- Bhubaneswar, Odisha): Two Bronze medals (100m and 4*100m relay).
- Asian Games (2018-Jakarta): Two Silver medals (100m and 200m).
- Asian Athletics Championships (2019-Doha, Qatar): Bronze medal (200m).
It is international multi-sport event, organized for university athletes by International University Sports Federation (FISU). Its name is linguistic non-sense created in some European non-English languages, an apparent combination of the words "University" and "Olympiad”. It is largest multi-sport event in the world apart from the Olympic Games. It was inaugurated in 1959 (summer games ) and 1960 (winter games).