2nd trial run of Vande Bharat Express conducted on New Delhi-Katra routeDate: 24 July 2019 Tags: Railways
The trial run of the second Vande Bharat Express also known as ‘Train 18’ was successfully conducted on the New Delhi-Katra route, covering distance of about 655 kms. The train departed from New Delhi at 6.00 in morning and reached Katra (Jammu) at 2 pm the same day. Thereafter, it departed from Katra at 3 pm and arrived at the national capital at 11 pm. The first Vande Bharat Express is running on the Delhi-Varanasi route and was flagged off by Prime Mininster Narendra Modi on 15 February 2019.
About Vande Bharat Express (Train18)
- It has been indigenously designed and manufactured by Integral Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai, a Railways Production unit, under Government vision of "Make in India".
- It is India’s first semi high speed long-distance engineless train i.e. without separate locomotive (engine). It has been designed in the shape of a bullet train.
- It is driven by self-propulsion module. It is touted as next generation Shatabdi Express and will connect metros with important cities.
- Its major systems of train have been designed and built in India. Its performance, safety and passenger comfort standards are of global standards and that to less than half of global prices.
- It is at present country’s fastest train with speed of 160 kmph (It can attain maximum speed of 200km). It will cut travel time by 15% compared to Shatabdi Express.
- It has 16 coaches with chair car type configuration with two executive class chair cars and 14 chair cars. It is fully air-conditioned train and is equipped with CCTV cameras.
- It has two executive compartments in middle with 52 seats each and trailer coaches have 78 seats each.
- It has aerodynamically designed driver cabins at both ends for quicker turn-around at destinations. Besides they also have insulation to keep outside heat and noise to very low levels.
- Every coach has pantry with facility to serve hot meals, hot and cold beverages. It has soft lighting, automatic doors, footsteps and GPS-based audio-visual Passenger Information System.
- It has intelligent regenerative braking system in all coaches for better energy efficiency as it can save up to 30% of electrical energy, thereby making it energy and environment efficient.
- Footstep in coach’s doorway of this train slides outward when train stops at station enabling passengers to board or deboard safely with comfort.
- It offers some features to enhance passenger comfort which include inter-connected fully sealed gangways, automatic doors with retractable footsteps.
- It also has onboard Wi-Fi and infotainment, and modular toilets with bio-vacuum systems. It also has provision of Divyang-friendly facilities.
- It also features rotational seats which can be aligned in direction of travel (executive class), roller blinds and diffused LED lighting, and disabled-friendly toilets.