20th anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas celebratedDate: 26 July 2019 Tags: Days & Dates
20th anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas celebrated on July 26, 2019 across the nation to commemorate success of ''Operation Vijay'' which was launched by Indian Army to recapture strategic Indian territories held by the Pakistani intruders in the Kargil-Drass sector in 1999. The theme for this year’s celebration was ‘Remember, Rejoice and Renew’.
India-Pakistan Kargil War
- It had taken place between May and July of 1999 in Kargil district of Jammu and Kashmir. It was started after infiltration of both Pakistani troops and terrorists deep inside Indian territory in strategic positions that overlooked the only road link between Srinagar and Leh.
- The conflict is believed to have been orchestrated by then Pakistan army chief General Pervez Musharraf without knowledge Pakistan Government led by then Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
- Following this illegal infiltration and occupation of strategic positions, Indian Army had launched “Operation Vijay”.
- It was also supported by Indian Air Force’s operation Safed Sagar. It was for first time air power at height of 32,000 feet.
- This Indo-Pak is always remembered for its strategic and tactical surprises, self-imposed national strategy of restraint in keeping war limited to Kargil - Siachen Sectors and swiftly executed co-ordinated tri-services military strategy and plans.
- This 60-day long war resulted in loss of several lives on both the sides, India eventually won unofficial war by regaining control of all previously held territory, re-establishing status quo ante-bellum.