India elected to Executive Board of 1st UN-Habitat AssemblyDate: 28 May 2019 Tags: India & World
India was elected to Executive Board of the first United Nations-Habitat Assembly at Plenary Session ofassembly held in Nairobi, Kenya. The first session of UN-Habitat Assembly was held from May 27 to 31, 2019 at the headquarters of UN-Habitat in Nairobi. The special theme of this assembly is "Innovation for Better Quality of Life in Cities and Communities".
- It stands for United Nations Human Settlements Programme. It is the UN agency for human settlements and sustainable urban development.
- It was established in 1978 as outcome of First UN Conference on Human Settlements and Sustainable Urban Development (Habitat I) held in Vancouver, Canada, in 1976.
- It is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. It is a member of UN Development Group.
- It is mandated by UN General Assembly (UNGA) to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
- It derives its mandate from Habitat Agenda, adopted by UN Conference on Human Settlements (Habitat II) in Istanbul, Turkey, in 1996.
- The twin goals of Habitat Agenda are (i) adequate shelter for all and (ii) development of sustainable human settlements in an urbanizing world.