CICA Summit 2019 held in Dushanbe, TajikistanDate: 15 June 2019 Tags: International Organizations
The 5th Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia (CICA) Summit was in Dushanbe, Tajikistan. Theme of this edition of summit was “Shared Vision for a Secure and More Prosperous CICA Region”. From India, Union External Affairs Minister, S. Jaishankar had attended the two days summit.
5th CICA Summit
Participating Leaders from CICA member countries deliberated on existing and emerging issues of common concern to members and underline implementation of confidence-building measures for developing Asia into a prosperous, secure and peaceful region. They adopted Declaration covering issues of cooperation within CICA.
Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia (CICA)
- It is a pan Asia multi-national (intergovernmental) forum for enhancing cooperation towards promoting peace, security and stability in Asia.
- It was established in 1999. Its secretariat (headquarter) is in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
- Membership: Presently it has 27 member states. India has been member since its inception. Eight countries and five multi-national organizations, including United Nations are having observer status. For becoming member of CICA, a counry/state must have at least part of its territory in Asia.
- Structure: The highest decision making organ of CICA is the meeting of the CICA heads of state and government. CICA summit is convened every four years. Besides, meeting of the ministers of foreign affairs is required to be held every two years.
- Note: Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee had participated in the first CICA Summit held in 2002 in Almaty, Kazakhstan