5th ABU Media Summit on Climate Action and Disaster Preparedness held in NepalDate: 27 April 2019 Tags: International Organizations
The 5th Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) Media Summit on Climate Action and Disaster Preparedness was Kathmandu, Nepal. The theme of this summit is “Media Solutions for Sustainable Future: Saving Lives, Building Resilient Communities”.
ABU Media Summit on Climate Action and Disaster Preparedness
- Its objective was to address issue of fully utilizing media’s potential of accelerating climate action and disaster preparedness and connect stakeholders to media professionals for collaboration and joint practical projects.
- It saw participation of over 200 participants including political leaders, representatives of United Nation (UN) agencies and NGOs, climate change and disaster management experts, scientists and media persons.
Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU)
- It is non-profit, non-governmental, non- political, professional association of broadcasting organizations from Asia Pacific region.
- It was established in 1964 and its secretariat (headquarters) is located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- It is one of most prominent and the third largest broadcasting union in the world. It is member of the World Broadcasters’ Union.
- Members: It has 272 members at present from 76 countries on four continents. India is a founder member of ABU and public broadcasters All India Radio (AIR) and Doordarshan have been associated with it.
- Mandate: It assists development of broadcasting in the region. It provides a forum to promote the collective interests of its members.