2nd ASEAN-India Youth Summit held in GuwahatiDate: 13 February 2019 Tags: International Organizations, International Events
The second edition of ASEAN-India Youth Summit was held in Guwahati, Assam from 5 February to 7 February 2019. It was inaugurated by Union Minister of State for Tourism KJ Alphons and Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal.
ASEAN-India Youth Summit 2019
- It was organised by India Foundation and Union Ministry of External Affairs.
- Its theme was “Connectivity: Pathway to Shared Prosperity”.
- It had seen participation of over 100 youth delegates from 10 ASEAN countries viz. Vietnam, Laos, Brunei, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar and Indonesia.
ASEAN-India Youth Summit
- It was launched in 2017 to commemorate 25th anniversary ASEAN-India Dialogue Partnership.
- It aims to provide platform for youth leaders of both India and ASEAN to engage with each other to develop a resilient and symbiotic relationship between countries.
- The first India-ASEAN Youth Summit 2017 was held in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh with theme “Shared Values, Common Destiny”.
- It was organized by India Foundation, in collaboration with ASEAN Secretariat and Ministry of External Affairs.
Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- It is regional intergovernmental organization comprising 10 countries in Southeast Asia viz. Vietnam, Laos, Brunei, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar and Indonesia.
- It promotes intergovernmental cooperation and facilitates economic, political, security, military, sociocultural and educational integration among its members and other countries in Asia.
- It was established on August 8, 1967, after adaptation ASEAN declaration (also known as Bangkok Declaration). Its secretariat is located in Jakarta, Indonesia.