21st ASEAN-India Senior Officialsâ€™ Meeting held in New DelhiDate: 13 April 2019 Tags: India & World
The 21st ASEAN-India Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM) was held in New Delhi on April 11-12, 2019. In this meeting, India and ASEAN resolved to strengthen ties by deepening cooperation in maritime sector and boosting connectivity.
21st ASEAN-India SOM
- It reviewed strategic partnership and its future direction. It assessed progress of cooperation under all three pillars- political-security, economic and socio-cultural.
- Both sides exchanged views on regional and international issues of interest to ASEAN and India. They agreed to deepen maritime cooperation as decided at ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit 2018.
- They proposed to undertake variety of measures, including enhanced cooperation in sub-sector of Blue Economy. They also decided to give impetus to ASEAN-India connectivity in all its forms.
- They also discussed the ways and means to further deepen cooperation on financial matters as well as overall strengthening of the ASEAN Secretariat.
- They also vowed to step up cooperation in renewable energy and hold an ASEAN-India Conference on Renewable Energy in 2019. The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) and ASEAN Centre for Energy (ACE) will be the co-partners for this project.
Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- It is regional intergovernmental organization comprising 10 countries in Southeast Asia viz. Vietnam, Laos, Brunei, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar and Indonesia.
- It promotes intergovernmental cooperation and facilitates economic, political, security, military, sociocultural and educational integration among its members and other countries in Asia.
- It was established on August 8, 1967, after adaptation ASEAN declaration (also known as Bangkok Declaration). Its secretariat is located in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Currently, ASEAN-India partnership is implemented through “Plan of Action (2016-20) to implement ASEAN-India Partnership for peace, progress and shared prosperity”.