Four archers included in Target Olympic Podium SchemeDate: 28 June 2019 Tags: Education
Sports Authority of India's (SAI) Mission Olympic Cell has included four archers in Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Four archers are Tarundeep Rai, Atanu Das, Pravin Jadhav and Atul Verma. Rai, Das and Jadhav were part of Indian men's recurve team that had won silver in the recently-concluded World Archery Championships in Hertogenbosch, Netherlands in June 2019. Their exploits at Championships had helped India bag a three-athlete quota for the 2020 Olympics.
About Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS)
- It is flagship scheme of Union Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs launched within ambit of National Sports Development Fund (NSDF).
- Objective: It aims at identifying and supporting potential medal prospects for upcoming Olympic Games.
- Implementing agencencies: Sports Authority of India (SAI) and federations, which are members of Mission Olympic Cell (MOC), will be nodal agencies for disbursal for fund.
- Features of scheme: Selected sportspersons will be provded customized training at institutes having world class facilities along with other necessary support to the elite athletes. It will also provide benchmark for selection of athletes on par with international standards. Payments will be directly made to beneficiary person and institution concerned on behalf of athletes.
- Abinav Bindra Committee: It was constituted for identifying and supporting potential medal prospects for 2020 and 2024 Olympic Games under the scheme.