EQUIP: HRD ministry releases 5-year vision plan to transform higher educationDate: 29 June 2019 Tags: Education
The Department of Higher Education under under Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) released five-year vision plan (report) termed as Education Quality Upgradation and Inclusion Programme (EQUIP). It was framed in accordance with decision of Prime Minister for finalizing a five-year vision plan for each Ministry. It will be now taken for inter-departmental consultations and appraisal through Expenditure Finance Committee (EFC) mechanism before being taken to Cabinet for approval.
EQUIP report has been prepared after detailed exercise done by Experts covering following ten areas: (i) Strategies for expanding access, (ii) Towards global best teaching/learning process, (iii) Promoting Excellence (iv) Assessment, Accreditation & Ranking systems, (v) Promotion of research & innovation (vi) Employability & entrepreneurship (vii) Using Technology for better reach (viii) Governance reforms, (ix) Internationalisation and (x) Financing higher education
Goals set under EQUIP for higher education sector
- Double Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) in higher education.
- Resolve geographically and socially skewed access to higher education institutions.
- Accreditation of all institutions as an assurance of quality.
- Upgrade Quality of Education to global standards.
- Promote India as a global study destination.
- Position at least 50 Indian institutions among the top-1000 global universities.
- Double the employability of the students passing out of higher education.
- Achieve quantum increase in investment in higher education.
- Promote Research & Innovation ecosystems for positioning India in Top-3 countries in the world in matters of knowledge creation