Odisha Government to launch Lightning Protection SystemDate: 06 March 2019 Tags: Disaster & Disaster Management
Odisha Disaster Management Authority (OSDMA) has decided to retrofit lightning protection system in multi-purpose shelters across 25 districts in the state. This is aimed at protecting people from lightning and thunderstorm.
Lightning Protection System
- In the first phase this initiative, total 640 shelters will be taken up with funding support from World Bank under National Cyclone Risk Mitigation Project (NCRMP).
- These multipurpose shelters buildings will be fitted with lightning arresting systems to strengthen outdoor lightning alert system.
- As part of this initiative, OSDMA in collaboration with US-based Earth Networks already have installed 6 lighting detection sensors for early warning in different parts of state. It provides prediction of lightning 30-45 minutes in advance.
National Cyclone Risk Mitigation Project (NCRMP)
- Its objective is to undertake suitable structural and non-structural measures to mitigate the effects of cyclones in coastal states and UTs of India.
- It seeks to minimize vulnerability to cyclones. It also seeks to make people and infrastructure disaster resilient in harmony with conservation of coastal eco-system in the cyclone hazard prone states/UTs.
- It is implemented by National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) under the aegis of Ministry of Home Affairs(MHA) in coordination with participating State Governments and the National Institute for Disaster Management (NIDM).