Nathu la pass meetingDate: 02 October 2019 Tags: Geography & Environment
A border personnel meeting between senior military officials of India and China, on China’s National Day was held at Nathula Pass.
The meeting took place days before the visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping to India. Mr. Jinping will visit Mamallapuram near Chennai in the second week this month for a second informal summit with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Besides Nathula Pass, India and China hold border personnel meetings at four other places, including Kibithu in Arunachal Pradesh and Chishul in Ladakh.
Nathu la Pass
Nathu La is a mountain pass in the Himalayas in East Sikkim district. It connects the Indian state of Sikkim with China's Tibet Autonomous Region. The pass, at 4,310 m (14,140 ft) above mean sea level, forms a part of an offshoot of the ancient Silk Road.
Important Himalayan passes
- Shipki la- Himachal Pradesh and Tibet
- Jalep la - It connects Sikkim with Lhasa
- Khardung la- Leh and Siachen glaciers
- Chang la - Ladakh with Tibet
- Bara lacha pass - Manali and Leh.
- Lipu lekh- Uttarakhand and Tibet
- Mana- Tibet with Uttarakhand
- Bomdi la – Arunachal Pradesh and Tibet
- Diphu pass – Arunachal Pradesh and China-Myanmar
- Dihang pass- Arunachal Pradesh and Myanmar
- Banihal - Jammu and Kashmir
- Jojila - Srinagar and Leh
- Burzail – Kashmir and Ladakh