Microwave ovens, Washing Machines added under Star Labelling ProgrammeDate: 11 March 2019 Tags: Miscellaneous
Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) has added microwave ovens and washing machines under Star Labelling Programme and will be assigned star ratings based on their energy efficiency metrics (performance). This will create awareness among domestic consumers to encourage transition towards energy efficient microwave ovens and Washing machines. Moreover, adoption of star-rated microwave ovens and washing machines will result in estimated savings of over three billion units of electricity at consumer-end by 2030.
- Initially, this programme for these two appliances will be implemented on voluntary basis and will be valid up to December 31, 2020
- Any model/brand of washing machine or microwave oven can avail star rating on scale of 1 to 5 based on test report from National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL) or equivalent labs subsequent to scrutiny by the BEE.
- BEE has also revise the criteria for washing machine for inclusion of water efficiency in addition to energy performance for grant of star rating.
Star labelling programme
- It has been formulated Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), as part of its mandate, under the Energy Conservation Act, 2001. It was launched in 2006.
- It is aimed at improving energy efficiency in household appliances to reduce energy bills of common consumers.
- It seeks to provide consumer informed choice about energy saving and thereby cost saving potential of marketed household and other equipment.
- It is applicable for more than 25 electrical appliances including room air conditioner (fixed speed), ceiling fan, computer, direct cool refrigerator, colour television, domestic gas stove, distribution transformer, frost free refrigerator, general purpose industrial motor, openwell submersible pump set, monoset pump, submersible pump set, stationary type water heater, tfl, washing machine (semi/top load/front load), ballast, office automation products, solid state inverter, diesel engine driven monosetpumps for agricultural purposes, diesel generator set, led lamps, room air conditioner (variable speed), chillers, agricultural pumpset etc.
Online system for faster adoption of star rating
- BEE has developed an online registration platform for expeditious registration and approval under star rating initiative with objective of "ease of implementation,
- Using this platform, manufacturers will be able to register products online for availing appropriate star rating for respective models/products.
About Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
- It is statutory body set up under the Energy Conservation Act, 2001. It functions under Ministry of Power.
- It assists government in developing policies and strategies with primary objective of reducing energy intensity of Indian economy.
- It coordinates with designated agencies, consumers and other organizations to identify and utilize existing resources and infrastructure in performing functions assigned to it under the Energy Conservation Act.