Guwahati Railway Station first to get green ISO certificationDate: 05 April 2019 Tags: Organizations
Guwahati Railway Station became first railway station of Indian Railways to get green ISO certification- ISO 14001:2015 for providing passenger amenities in a clean and green environment. It achieved this feat by successfully implementing environment management systems based on the direction of National Green Tribunal (NGT).
- Guwahati Railway Station has obtained certification for providing passenger amenities in clean and green environment throughout entire Railway station premises.
- It also provides High Class Reserve (VIP) Lounge, waiting rooms, AC and Non-AC Retiring Rooms, Refreshing Area, Food Courts and Sanitation at the station.
- The certification will be reviewed in 2020, which mandates stricter environment norms regarding waste disposal among others to be adhered to Railway Station.
International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
- ISO stands for “International Organization for Standardization”. It promotes worldwide proprietary, industrial and commercial standards
- It is international standard-setting body composed of representatives from various national standards organizations.
- It was founded on 23 February 1947. It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland and works in 164 countries.
- It is responsible for establishing standard in different area of activities. There are many types of ISO certification.
- ISO-14001 is for Environment Management System as per international norms and was upgraded last in 2015.