Refurbished Handloom Haat inaugurated in New DelhiDate: 06 March 2019 Tags: Industries
Union Ministry of Textiles inaugurated renovated Handloom Haat in New Delhi. Besides it also launched three projects of NIFT - VisionNXT – Trend Forecasting Initiative, Indian Textiles and Craft Repository Initiative and Design Innovation and Incubation Initiative.
- It has been set up at Janpath in New Delhi to provide marketing opportunities to authentic handloom products from various States, PSUs and cooperative societies.
- Objectives: (i) Provide infrastructure support to handloom agencies to augment their sales of handloom products. (ii) Showcase exquisite variety of handloom products produced all over the country.
- Launched by National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) to create indigenous fashion forecasting service that endeavours to design seasonal directions for the country.
- It will provide trend forecasting service aligned to national and sub-national socio-cultural constructs and market requirements.
- Its service is based on premise that fashion is dynamic industry and depending on seasonal trends and forecast to predict its future direction.
- It will help handloom sector in production of handloom products as per market requirement in terms of trends, design and colour forecast.
Indian Textiles and Craft Repository Initiative
- It is launched by NIFT and is supported by DC Handlooms andDC Handicrafts, Ministry of Textiles.
- It will channel textile and craft knowledge generated into national knowledge portal titled Indian Textile & Craft Repository.
- It will also house virtual registers of textiles and crafts resources, which are available in Weaver Service Centres, Crafts Museums, similar institutions and private collections.
- It will develop virtual museum of textiles and textile crafts, designer archive, indigenous case studies and act as aggregator of online information on related research.
- This virtual museum will have digitised resource of traditional archived pieces from museums, resource centres, weavers’ service centres.
- It will also have contemporary pieces and collections from designers, fashion archives. This will help in easy sourcing of designs.
Design Innovation and Incubation (DII) Initiative
- It is intended to support young entrepreneurs, artisans, start-ups, NIFT alumni and students. It will also facilitate collaborations relevant for business development.
- Its targeted beneficiaries include NIFT alumni and students who would like to start entrepreneurial ventures as those who are not part of NIFT.
- Under it incubation facilities (Regional Incubators) will be set up in Mumbai, New Delhi and Bengaluru campuses of NIFT.