CCEA approves 2880 MW Dibang Multipurpose Project in Arunachal PradeshDate: 18 July 2019 Tags: Infrastructure
Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved Dibang Multipurpose Project (MPP) in Arunachal Pradesh. CCEA has approved expenditure on pre-investment activities and various clearances for this project. The project is having all statutory clearances viz., Environment Clearance, Forest Clearance (Stage-l) and Defence Clearance except Forest Clearance (Stage-II) for seeking Investment Sanction from Central Government.
About Dibang Multipurpose Project (MPP)
- It will be built on river Dibang, in Lower Dibang Valley District of Arunachal Pradesh. It will be the highest dam in India once completed, with height of 278 metres
- It will be largest ever Hydro Electric Project to be constructed in India, generating 2880MW (12x240MW) power to produce 11223MU of energy in 90% dependable year.
- It is envisaged as storage based hydro-electric project with flood moderation as its key objective.
- The estimated total cost of project is Rs. 28080 and estimated completion period will be nine years from receipt of Government sanction.
- Dam project: It envisages construction of 278 m high Concrete Gravity Dam (above deepest foundation level), six horseshoe-shaped head race Tunnels of length varying from 300 m to 600 m with 9 m diameter, underground power house and six horseshoe-shaped Tail Race Tunnels of length varying from 320 m to 470 m with 9m diameter.
- Power Sharing: On completion, Arunachal Pradesh Government will get 12% free power from project (i.e. 1346.76 MU. 1% free power and 112 MUs will be given in Local Area Development Fund). The total value of benefit to Arunachal Pradesh will be Rs 26785 crore over the project life of forty years.
- Flood Mitigation: The construction of Dibang MPP will help to prevent sizeable downstream area from floods. Moreover, after implementation of master plan of Brahmaputra Board for flood moderation of all rivers contributing to Brahmaputra River, of which Dibang MPP is one of component, sizable area will be protected from flooding and help in mitigating perennial damage due to floods in Assam.