Indian Navy inaugurates Virtual Reality CentreDate: 13 April 2019 Tags: Defence & Security
Indian Navy has inaugurated new state-of-the-art Virtual Reality Centre (VRC) at Directorate of Naval Design (Surface Ship Group) in New Delhi. It will provide major boost to indigenous warship design capabilities of Indian Navy.
Virtual Reality Centre (VRC)
- It aims to also provide impetus to self-reliance and greater fillip to warship construction under 'Make in India' initiative of Central Government.
- It will provide major boost to indigenous warship design capabilities of Indian Navy.
- It will facilitate collaborative design reviews for continuous interaction between designers and end-users to improve design and ergonomics onboard warships.
Directorate of Naval Design (Submarine Design Group)
- It is premier organization of Indian Navy for design of submarines and submersibles. It had started its operations in 1960s and since then has made major contributions towards indigenous warship design capabilities of Indian Navy and improving self-reliance for warship design and construction.
- It provides platform design of underwater vessels- From Concept design to Detailed design, supports indigenous development of submarine systems and equipment and provides comprehensive design support for project execution. It also provides design support for modernization of operational submarines.
- It has successfully developed 19 warship designs on which more than 90 platforms have been constructed till date.
Virtual Reality (VR)
- It is the use of computer technology to create simulated real world in virtaul environment.
- Unlike traditional user interfaces, it places user inside experience. Instead of viewing screen in front of them, users are immersed and able to interact with 3D world.
- Using VR devices users can be transported into number of real-world and imagined environments. It leads to complete immersion experience by shutting out physical world.
- It is different as compared to augmented reality (AR), which adds digital elements to live view often by using camera on smartphone. Its best example is Pokemon Go game.