DRDO test fires indigenous inertially-guided bombDate: 24 May 2019 Tags: Defence & Security
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test fired an indigenously-developed 500 kg inertially-guided bomb at Pokhran test firing range in Rajasthan. The bomb hit its target at 30 km with high precision after it was released from Su-30 MKI Aircraft. The test comes after DRDO recently successfully conducted flight test of ABHYAS - High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) from a test range in Odisha.
Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO)
- It is India's premier organization for research related to country’s defence technology. It is under administrative control if Ministry of Defence.
- It is largest and most diverse research organization in India. It was established in 1958 and it is headquartered New Delhi.
- Motto: "Strength's Origin is in Science".
- Network: It has network of 52 laboratories engaged in developing defence technologies covering various fields, like aeronautics, armaments, electronics, land combat engineering, life sciences, materials, missiles, and naval systems etc.
- Functions: It is charged with defence research and development. It also advises government on scientific aspects of military equipment and equipment, research, design and development plans.
- Major Projects: It has undertaken several major projects for development of missiles, armaments, light combat aircrafts, radars, electronic warfare systems etc.
- Achievements: It has indigenously developed many advanced defense systems. It has acquired expertise in a broad spectrum of defense technologies.