Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa new chairman of Chiefs of Staff CommitteeDate: 30 May 2019 Tags: Miscellaneous
Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa received Baton of Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee from outgoing Chairman (COSC). He will be the chairman COSC with effect from May 31, 2019 after Admiral Sunil Lanba retires.
About Birender Singh Dhanoa
- He is alumnus of Rashtriya Indian Military College and National Defence Academy (NDA). He was commissioned in Flying Branch of Indian Air Force in June 1978.
- He is experienced fighter pilot and qualified CAT A’ Flying Instructor with over 3,000 hours of flying experience to his credit. He has mainly flown MiG-21 aircraft and also has flying experience across entire spectrum of fighter aircraft of IAF.
- During the Kargil war (1999), he was Commanding Officer (CO) of frontline ground attack fighter squadron. He has held many coveted operational and staff assignments during his career.
About Chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee (CoSC)
- Chairman is head of Chiefs of Staff Committee (CoSC). The most senior chief of staff is appointed to serve as a chairman until he retires.
- Mandate of CoSC: It advises Union Defence Minister and normally through him Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs (CCPA) headed by Prime Minister of India on all military matters which require ministerial consideration.
- Composition of CoSC: It is composed of (a) Chief of the Army Staff (COAS) (b) Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS); (c) Chief of the Air Staff (CAS); and (d) Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (CIDS) (non-voting member). Besides, Scientific Adviser to Defence Minister is also invited to attend its meetings whenever needed.