We have launched our mobile app, get it now. Call : 9354229384, 9354252518, 9999830584.  

Tags Current Affairs

ISRO looses contact with Vikram Lander

Date: 07 September 2019 Tags: Space



ISRO chairman K. Sivan has told that communication has been lost with the Vikram lander as it was at the altitude of about 2 km from landing on the moon.




After its launch on July 22, Chandrayaan 2 spent several weeks making its way to the moon, ultimately entering lunar orbit on Aug 20. On September 2, Vikram separated from the mission's orbiter, and the lander began a series of braking manoeuvres to lower its orbit and ready itself for landing.



  • It is stated Only 5 per cent of the mission has been lost - Vikram, the lander, and Pragyan, the rover. The remaining 95 per cent, that is the Chandrayaan 2 orbiter, is orbiting the moon successfully.

  • Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mark III, or the GSLV Mk-III, the biggest and most powerful rocket in India's space garage carried with it the orbiter, lander and rover. The GSLV Mk-III successfully launched the orbiter.

Other Information

  • Chandrayaan-2 orbiter, going around the Moon, is capable of communicating with Indian Deep Space Network (IDSN) and the mission life of the Orbiter is one year.

  • The orbiter can take pictures of moon and send it to ISRO. The Orbiter can also take pictures of the lander to know its status.

  • The Chandrayaan-2 spacecraft comprised three segments the Orbiter (weighing 2,379 kg, eight payloads), 'Vikram' (1,471 kg, four payloads) and 'Pragyan' (27 kg, two payloads).

Notice (8): Undefined variable: quizpole [ROOT/plugins/Studyiq/src/Template/Pages/tagdetails.ctp, line 161]