- Marakkar: Lion of the Arabian Sea
Q.)The world famous Tulip Garden of Jammu & Kashmir is located at the foothills of which mountain?
- Lachulung La
Q.) The world famous Suez Canal connects which two water bodies?
- Red Sea and Mediterranean Sea
- Persian Gulf and Mediterranean Sea
- Red Sea and Black Sea
- Black Sea and Indian Ocean
Q.) Name the capital of Tajikistan.
Equal, Not Identical
- More than a year ago, Supreme Court said: the army’s short service commission women officers are all entitled to permanent commission
- 86 senior women officers had petitioned the court about arbitrary evaluation standards
- The structural discrimination against women in a society “created by males and for males”
- It’s not about diluting standards, but making space for human variety
- One size does not fit all
- Military equipment must accommodate female bodies
- The court’s reminder about implicit gender biases and structural justice will serve as a guide to the institution – and for the rest of us.
Dormant Parliament, fading business
- Budget session ended two weeks ahead
- Politicians are busy with campaigning for the forthcoming State Assembly elections
- 2020 Budget Session – lockdown
- 2020 Monsoon Session – Covid-19
- 2020 Winter Session – cancelled
- As a result, the fiscal year 2020-21 saw the Lok Sabha sitting for 34 days (and the Rajya Sabha for 33), the lowest ever.
- The casualty was proper legislative scrutiny of proposed legislation as well as government functioning and finances.
- No Bill scrutiny: During the session, 13 Bills were introduced, and not even one of them was referred to a parliamentary committee for examination.
- National Capital Territory of Delhi (Amendment) Bill, 2021
- Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Amendment Bill, 2021
- The percentage of Bills referred to committees declined from 60% and 71% in the 14th Lok Sabha (2004-09) and the 15th Lok Sabha, respectively, to 27% in the 16th Lok Sabha and just 11% in the current one.
- Money Bill classification: The dubious practice of marking Bills as ‘Money Bills’ and getting them past the Rajya Sabha
- The Constitution requires the Lok Sabha to approve the expenditure Budget (in the form of demand for grants) of each department and Ministry.
- The Lok Sabha had listed the budget of just five Ministries for detailed discussion and discussed only three of these; 76% of the total Budget was approved without any discussion.
- This behaviour was in line with the trend of the last 15 years, during which period 70% to 100% of the Budget have been passed without discussion in most years.
- The absence of a Deputy Speaker.
- Article 93 of the Constitution states that “... The House of the People shall, as soon as may be, choose two members of the House to be respectively Speaker and Deputy Speaker….”
- In order to fulfil its constitutional mandate, it is imperative that Parliament functions effectively.
- Fire is a good servant but a bad master
- Mumbai’s Bhandup area – fire at a private COVID-19 hospital
- The failure to make fire safety a systemic imperative in public buildings
- The majority of patients were evacuated and admitted to other hospitals.
- It should be pointed out that after a fire in Rajkot last November, the Supreme Court took suo motu cognisance of the incident and issued directions, one of which was to task an officer with fire safety for each COVID-19 hospital.
- The Supreme Court has dealt with a grave matter concerning issues of judicial propriety with characteristic opaqueness.
- It has dismissed a complaint from Andhra Pradesh CM Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy, containing explosive allegations against CJI-designate Justice N.V. Ramana, but declined to disclose the findings of an in-house inquiry.
- The rejection was disclosed on the Court’s website on the day CJI S.A. Bobde recommended Justice Ramana as his successor.
- Going by procedure, a committee of three judges must have inquired into the charges.
- The lack of transparency is based on a 2003 judgment of the apex court that any inquiry under this procedure is meant only for “the information and satisfaction” of the CJI, and is not meant for the public.
- The allegations came from a person holding the high office of CM, and the crux of his grievance was that the A.P. High Court was hostile to him and his regime due to the influence wielded by Justice Ramana.
- Further, he accused the judge of proximity with Mr. Reddy’s political rivals and alleged involvement of his family members in a land scam that involved prior knowledge that Amaravati was to be declared the State’s capital and speculative buying of land there.
- Is it possible to dismiss the allegations without disclosing who were heard as witnesses and what material was considered as evidence?
- Was Mr. Reddy given an opportunity to substantiate his charges?
- And, does he get to know the conclusions?
- PM Modi says, India and Bangladesh have similar opportunities in fields of trade and commerce and face similar threats like terrorism
- Swarna Jayanti scholarship for youths of Bangladesh announced; PM invites 50 entrepreneurs to join start-up initiative
- Bangbandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rehman’s daughter Sheikh Rehana receives Gandhi Peace Prize for her father
- Stage set for first phase voting of Assembly Elections in West Bengal and Assam tomorrow
- Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan assures, both COVID-19 vaccines are completely safe and immunogenic
- Over five crore 55 lakh doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered in country so far
- Centre rushes high-level multidisciplinary teams to Chhattisgarh and Chandigarh amid surge in COVID-19 cases
- Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar calls for collective efforts to combat pollution
- Every refugee in Assam will be secured with citizenship and all infiltrators will be sent out: Home Minister Amit Shah
- President Ram Nath Kovind visits Army Research and Referral Hospital following chest discomfort
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and his South Korean counterpart hold bilateral talks to strengthen defence partnership
- British PM Boris Johnson criticises China for imposing sanctions on 9 UK individuals and 4 entities
- India and US agree to further India-US economic cooperation through mutual dialogue and discussion
- External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar to be on a 2-day visit to Tajikistan from 30th March
- At least 32 people killed and 66 injured in trains collision in southern part of Egypt
- Indian team wins gold in 50 meter rifle Men’s Team event at ISSF World Cup in Delhi