- to ward off (a thrust, stroke, weapon, etc.), as in fencing; avert.
- to turn aside; evade or dodge:·
- Failing to succeed; unsuccessful.
- Born prematurely.
- Imperfectly developed; rudimentary.
- Thoughtful provision beforehand; provident care; prudence.
- Thinking of something beforehand; previous consideration; anticipation.
- To give offense to; make angry.
- To treat with arrogance or contempt; bluster at; hector or bully.
- forming or expressing division or distribution.
- creating dissension or discord.