- a military enemy; hostile army.
- a person belonging to a hostile army or nation.
- an opponent in a game or contest; adversary:
- to sharpen (a knife, tool, etc.) by grinding or friction.
- to make keen or eager; stimulate:
- the act of whetting.
- something that whets; appetizer or drink.
- forming or expressing division or distribution.
- creating dissension or discord.
- resolutely fearless, dauntless:
- Not quick or alert in perception, feeling, or intellect; not sensitive or observant; dull.
- Not sharp, acute, or pointed; blunt in form.
- Rounded at the extremity.
- Indistinctly felt or perceived, as pain or sound.