- Of a dark, dull, or dirty color or aspect; lacking brightness or freshness.
- Shabby; dismal.
- Of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate:
- Not satisfactory; poor; inferior
- To increase the severity, bitterness, or violence of (disease, ill feeling, etc.); aggravate.
- To embitter the feelings of (a person); irritate; exasperate.
- Generous bestowal of gifts
- The gift or gifts, as of money, so bestowed.
- Generosity; liberality.
- To compensate for damage or loss sustained, expense incurred, etc.
- To guard or secure against anticipated loss; give security against (future damage or liability).