- side by side; beside each other in a line:
- equal to or alongside in progress, attainment, or awareness
- an awkward, stupid person; clumsy, ill-mannered boor; oaf.
- to flout; treat with contempt; scorn.
- a loud, sharp, shrill cry.
- a loud, high sound of laughter.
Verb (with object)
- to cut with a violent sweeping stroke or by striking violently and at random, as with a knife or sword.
- to lash; whip.
- lacking stiffness or firmness, as of substance, fiber, structure, or bodily frame:
- lacking vitality; weary; tired; fatigued:
- without firmness, force, energy, etc., as of character.