- to strip ruthlessly of money or goods by open violence, as in war; plunder.
- to rob with open violence; take booty:
- imperturbable self-possession, poise, or assurance.
- the perpendicular, or vertical, position.
- to anticipate and prevent or eliminate (difficulties, disadvantages, etc.) by effective measures; render unnecessary.
- to weaken or reduce in force, intensity, effect, quantity, or value:
- to make thin; make slender or fine.
- having or showing little or no emotion:
- not interested or concerned; indifferent or unresponsive: