- refusing to agree or compromise; uncompromising; inflexible.
- a person who refuses to agree or compromise, as in politics.
- to ward off (a thrust, stroke, weapon, etc.), as in fencing; avert.
- to turn aside; evade or dodge:·
- To walk, stand, or sit with the legs wide apart; stand or sit astride.
- To stand wide apart, as the legs.
- To indicate in advance; to foreshadow or presage, as an omen does:
- To signify; mean.
- Pertaining or relating directly and significantly to the matter at hand.