Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has recommended cricketers Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammad Shami, Ravindra Jadeja and Poonam Yadav for Arjuna award. Now these nominees will be considered by Ministry of Youth Affairs. So far, total 53 cricketers have been awarded Arjuna Award. Cricketer Saleem Durani was its first recipient in 1961.
- It is India’s second highest sporting award after Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award. It was instituted in 1961 and given by Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- It aims to recognize outstanding achievements of sportspersons in the field of sports at international level.
- Criteria: It is awarded to sportsperson having had good performance consistently for the previous four years at the international level with excellence for year for which Award is recommended.
- Besides, he/she should also have shown qualities of leadership, sportsmanship. It will be not awarded second time to the same person. It is also given posthumously if such an occasion arises.
- Sports disciplines covered: Olympic Games/Word Championship/Asian Games/Commonwealth Games/World Cup/disciplines and cricket or any equivalent recognized international Tournament. It also covers indigenous games and also sports for physically challenged.
- Award: It carries bronze statuette of Arjuna, scroll and cash award of Rs. 5 lakh.