Assam Government has launched PRANAM Commission, a panel set up to look after issues concerning Parents Responsibility and Norms for Accountability and Monitoring (PRANAM) Bill brought in for protection of parents of state government employees. It is first-of-its-kind bill in the country that aims to protect elderly parents of government employees in their times of need.
- It aims to ensure that no state government employee ignores their elderly parents and unmarried differently-abled siblings. It seeks to protect parents of state government employees and give them financial security.
- It makes mandatory for state government employees to look after their parents and unmarried differently-abled siblings who do not have their own sources of income.
- It establishes PRANAM Commission to look into complaints of parents of state government employee who are being ignored.
- It empowers PRANAM Commission to deduct 10 to 15% of state government employee's salary and pay it to ignored parents or differently-abled siblings.
- In later state, state government will also cover employees of private companies and t central government working in state under its ambit.