The 5th Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) Media Summit on Climate Action and Disaster Preparedness was Kathmandu, Nepal. The theme of this summit is “Media Solutions for Sustainable Future: Saving Lives, Building Resilient Communities”.
ABU Media Summit on Climate Action and Disaster Preparedness
- Its objective was to address issue of fully utilizing media’s potential of accelerating climate action and disaster preparedness and connect stakeholders to media professionals for collaboration and joint practical projects.
- It saw participation of over 200 participants including political leaders, representatives of United Nation (UN) agencies and NGOs, climate change and disaster management experts, scientists and media persons.
Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU)
- It is non-profit, non-governmental, non- political, professional association of broadcasting organizations from Asia Pacific region.
- It was established in 1964 and its secretariat (headquarters) is located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- It is one of most prominent and the third largest broadcasting union in the world. It is member of the World Broadcasters’ Union.
- Members: It has 272 members at present from 76 countries on four continents. India is a founder member of ABU and public broadcasters All India Radio (AIR) and Doordarshan have been associated with it.
- Mandate: It assists development of broadcasting in the region. It provides a forum to promote the collective interests of its members.