Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has launched National Data Quality Forum (NDQF) to improve data collection and use. NDQF aims to generate meaningful dialogue around improvement of data quality in general, and for health and medical research in particular.
About National Data Quality Forum (NDQF)
- It aims to serve an integrated national-level platform to improve quality of health and demographic data by generating meaningful dialogue around the improvement of data quality in general, and for health and medical research in particular.
- Launched by: ICMR’s National Institute for Medical Statistics (ICMR-NIMS) in partnership with Population Council (an international non-profit NGO that conducts research in biomedicine and social science).
- Purpose of NDQF: It will bring all relevant stakeholders, subject matter experts, industry leaders, decision makers, and data scientists/analysts on common platform for discussing improvements in the quality of data ecosystem in India.
- It will integrate learnings from scientific and evidence-based initiatives and guide actions through periodic workshops and conferences.
- Its activities will help to establish good practices and protocols of data collection, storage, use and dissemination that can be applied to health and demographic data, as well as can be replicated across other industries and sectors also.
- It will also do brainstorming, piloting and employ advanced modeling techniques in artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML) and big data analytics along with using technology-based solutions to improve data quality.
About National Institute for Medical Statistics
It is one of the permanent institutes of Institutes of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), New Delhi. It was established in 1977. It is India’s only institute to coordinate and standardize collection of medical and health statistics in the country. Its mandate is to provide technical expertise on research methodology, programme evaluation, mathematical modeling, data analysis etc.
NIMS’s Major Achievements: It has established India's first Clinical Trials Registry, in collaboration with the Department of Science and Technology and World Health Organisation (WHO). It has been identified as national nodal agency for the implementation of Integrated Disease Surveillance Project (IDSP)-Non-Communicable Disease ( IDSP- NCD) risk factor survey. It has developed Integrated Behavioural and Biological Assessment on National Highways (IBBA-NH) among trackers for HIV epidemic in the country.