Low cost Indian air carrier SpiceJet has become a member of global airlines’ grouping International Air Transport Association (IATA). With this, SpiceJet became first Indian budget carrier to join the IATA. Other Indian air carriers who are members of IATA are Air India, Jet Airways, Jet Lite and Vistara.
Significance of membership
It will aid SpiceJet’s plans to rapidly expand its international footprint. It will also allow SpiceJet to explore and grow its collaborations with IATA’s international member airlines through interlining and code shares. This will enable it to seamlessly expand the network options for its passengers in future.
International Air Transport Association (IATA)
- It is trade association for the world’s airlines.
- It represents some 290 airlines primarily major carriers, representing 117 countries, accounting for 82% of total air traffic.
- It is headquartered in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- It was established in April 1945 and It is successor to International Air Traffic Association established in 1919.
- Functions: It supports airline activity and helps formulate industry policy and standards.
- It helps airlines to operate safely, securely, efficiently, and economically under clearly defined rules.
- It provides professional support is provided to all industry stakeholders with wide range of products and expert services.
- It assists airlines by simplifying processes and increasing passenger convenience while reducing costs and improving efficiency.
- It also improves understanding of air transport industry among decision makers and increase awareness of benefits of aviation sector to national and global economies.