The Union Cabinet has approved construction of Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) to connect national capital Delhi with Ghaziabad and Meerut. It will first rail-based, high-speed regional transit system project to be implemented in India.
Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS)
- RRTS is rail-based, high-speed regional transit system. It aims to streamline urban transportation system, which is stressed due to intensive developments and increase in number of private vehicles.
- It provides people a safe, secure, reliable, fast and comfortable public transport and reduce stress on existing travel infrastructure and industrial activities.
- It will cover distance of 82.15 kms. (68.03 kms. elevated and 14.12 km. underground). Once operational, it will be fastest, most comfortable and safest mode of commuter transport in Delhi NCR).
- This project involves integration with other urban transport systems in efficient and effective manner by adopting innovative methods of designing, technology and institutional management.
- It will be implanted by Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) namely National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC).
- NCRTC will be joint ownership of Centre and State Governments with equal contribution, loan from multilateral/bilateral agency through Department of Economic Affairs (DEA), Finance Ministry.
- Benefits: It will provide much-needed additional public transport infrastructure to NCR to address issues of congestion, air-pollution and catalyse balanced and sustainable regional development.
- It will provide high speed mobility and efficient regional connectivity. It will drive balanced socio-economic growth with increased economic activities and improve quality of life of citizens.