The World Sustainable Gastronomy Day is observed every year across the world on June 18.
Observance of this day
- Acknowledges gastronomy as significant cultural expression related to natural and cultural diversity of the world.
- Reaffirms that all civilizations and cultures are contributors and crucial enablers of sustainable development.
- Gastronomy: It is study of relationship between food and culture. It is basically is science of good eating and deals with art of preparing and serving rich or delicate and appetizing food, cooking styles of particular regions.
- The World Sustainable Gastronomy Day was instituted by United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) through resolution A/RES/71/246 adopted in December 2016.
- Purpose of this day: It seeks to draw focus of world for crucial role played by sustainable gastronomy, owing to its inter-linkages with three dimensions of sustainable development in achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by promoting food security, nutrition, agricultural development, sustainable food production and conservation of biodiversity.