The second International Workshop on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (IWDRI) was held in New Delhi. It was organised by National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) in collaboration with United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) and in partnership with Global Commission on Adaptation, UN Development Programme and World Bank.
- Identify good disaster risk management practices in key infrastructure sectors.
- Identify specific areas and pathways for collaborative research on DRI (Energy, Transport, Telecom and Water),
- Discuss and co-create broad contours of Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI) as well as notional roll-out plan for the next three years.
- Build forum for members to work on areas of common interest and make specific commitments.
It saw participation of various countries, multilateral development banks, UN agencies, academia and research institutions, private sector, academics and policy think tanks
It discussed and collaborated on promoting policies and practices towards achieving disaster resilience of large infrastructure systems (transport, telecom, energy, water).
- Disaster resilient infrastructure plays important role in reducing infrastructure losses and also helps in reduction in mortality, number of affected people and economic losses due to disasters.
- Various international agreements have reiterated importance and long-term benefits of investing in resilient infrastructure.
- Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFDRR), 2015-2030 identifies investing in Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) for resilience and to build back better in reconstruction as priorities for action towards reducing disaster risk.
- Goal 9 of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) recognizes disaster resilient infrastructure as a crucial driver of economic growth and development.
Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI)
- The first IWDRI 2018 held in January 2018 had discussed about establishment of CDRI.
- It is envisaged as knowledge exchange and capacity development partnership.
- India announced establishing of CDRI soon after 2016 Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction, which was held in New Delhi.