India and Argentina inked Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to boost cooperation in civil nuclear sector. It was singed during official state visit of Argentinean President Mauricio Macri to India.
MoU for civil nuclear cooperation
- It was signed between Department of Atomic Energy (DEA) and National Atomic Energy Commission, Argentina.
- Cooperation under it is within framework of Global Center for Nuclear Energy Partnership.
- It will bolster institutional linkages in civil nuclear research, development and capacity building between both countries.
- India and Argentina had signed an agreement in 2010 for cooperation in peaceful use of nuclear energy.
- Both countries are enhancing and exploring cooperative ventures in the area of nuclear power and its societal uses in the fields of health, agriculture, industrial application, training and capacity building.
- Argentina has expertise in building small-capacity nuclear reactors and was looking to work with India in some third country in tripartite projects.
- Argentine company INVAP is already working on Fission Molly Project to build molybdenum plant in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- This project envisages setting up plant for creating isotopes. Argentina also manufactures some components used in Indian power reactors.