Directorate General of Training (DGT) has signed agreement with two big private sector companies-Cisco and Accenture to skill youth for digital economy through its Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs). This program aims to equip students enrolled in ITIs across India with skills for the digital economy over the next two years.
- It includes tailor-made curriculum with modules for digital literacy, career readiness, employability skills and advanced technology skills via the Bharat Skills portal and in-classroom modules.
- Coverage: In initial phase, the in-classroom training programme will be rolled out across 227 ITIs in Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Bihar and Assam, targeting more than one lakh youth.
- It will benefit nearly 15 lakh students across all the ITIs in India by accessing digital learning module via the Bharat Skills portal.
- Bharat Skills: It is Central Repository for skills which provide National Skills Qualifications Framework (NSQF) curriculum, course material, videos, question banks and mock test etc.
Directorate General of Training (DGT)
It is the apex organisation for development and coordination at National level for programmes relating to vocational training including women's vocational training. It also operates vocational training schemes in some of the specialized areas through field institutes under its direct control. It functions under Ministry of Skill Development And Entrepreneurship
Major functions of the DGT
- Frame overall policies, norms and standards for vocational training.
- Organize and conduct specialized training and research at the specially established training Institutes.
- Implement, regulate and increase the scope of training of apprentices under the Apprentices Act, 1961.
- Diversify, update and expand training facilities in terms of craftsmen and crafts instructors’ training.
- Organize vocational training programmes for women. Provide vocational guidance and employment counseling.
- Assist scheduled castes/scheduled tribes (SCs/STs) and persons with disabilities (PwDs) by enhancing their capabilities for wage employment and self employment.